Bit of a slow week this week but we got a pretty good round-up for ya. Let's jump right in! Via IGN
- EA's Origin is going to an all digital format as of April 4th. They claim 99% of their users download digital only anyway but I'm still not convinced that an all digital future is on the horizon until they start to drop prices. You can't tell me that with no shipping costs and no disc that the game still costs $60-$80 on a digital platform that you own and operate.
- Xbox's Games with Gold is leading off this month with Hitman Absolution and Deadlight. Meh.
- Despite what was said a few weeks back, the crew at Gearbox has the new consoles in it's cross-hairs and a new Borderlands game should be announced by the end of the year.
- Amazon has thrown it's hat in the streaming and gaming ring with fireTV, a set top box that streams media including games. It sounds kind of enticing with it's $99 price tag but I'll wait for the reviews to come in on this one. If it rocks and Comcast pisses me off bad enough, this might be a viable alternative to cable. So long as I can get my Walking Dead in.
- Microsoft has made Cortana of the Halo series the voice of Windows Phone 8.1. Apparently a lot of people either find this ridiculous or are pissed off about it. I think it's awesome. Now once someone can integrate that for Android, I'll be all over it.
- News has broken that Nintendo President Satoru Iwata is in for a tough Spring and may face being fired from his position. In light of Nintendo's recent money troubles and low projections of the WiiU console, Iwata's position may be vacated come the Nintendo stockholder meeting in June.
- For the few of you that don't have good taste and read the site, pictures and information on the iPhone 6 havc leaked.
- Square-Enix has finally come to the revelation that people like JRPGs with the smash hit Bravely Default. Now if they would just remake Final Fantasy VII we'd be all set.
- For anyone in the crowd that remembers the internet pre-YouTube, Homestarrunner.com updated for the first time in three years on April Fool's Day. Not a joke but a legit update. Guess we have to wait another 3 years now then...
- In a bit of gaming motherfuckery, the newly released Elder Scrolls Online is requiring that players submit a payment method before they even start the game or they won't get the 30 days free play time that most MMOs offer. On top of that, it seems some players are getting pre-charged their first month. That's what you get for not sticking to WoW or playing the vastly superior Final Fantasy XIV.
- Facebook's acquisition of the Oculus Rift has led to death threats. Because of course it has.
- South Park: The Stick of Truth got it's first DLC pack. Just some costumes but they say that there is more in the works. I'm hoping they give us an expansion or extra missions. I LOVED that game. in fact, you can check out my review of it here.
- Phil Spencer has been named the new head of Xbox.
- A few of the Sony All-Stars have been added in big ol' blocks to the PS3 port of Minecraft. People still play Minecraft? I thought everyone moved on to Starbound...
That's all for this week! Keep on geekin' on!