The news week was really slow until the last couple days. Chances are you've heard this news, but let's recap all the good stuff! Via Destructoid
- In probably the most interesting bit of news this week, high level Microsoft investors want the new CEO to kill the Xbox division. An interesting point since even though the PS4 is king of the console mountain right now, the Xbox One is still fairing better than the WiiU.
- A Halo 2 Anniversary Edition is in the works. Because why wouldn't it be? Final Fantasy VII STILL does not have an HD remake but 343 is already getting an HD cleanup of Halo 2 done. GET THE FUCK ON IT SQUARE!
- Final Fantasy X-3 (Not X3, ten-three) and Final Fantasy XII HD are not in production. The fandom let out a collective sigh of relief.
- For all the computer gamers out there, if you liked Papers Please there is a new mod for Civilzation V that adds the nation of Arstotzka to the game. GLORY TO ARSTOTZKA!
- Gearbox is not working on Borderlands 3 right now and sites damn good reasons as to why.
- The Tit-Anvil beta is now live for everyone! Before you needed a beta access code, now you don't! For all those unfortunate enough to have purchased an Xbox One, go frag some noobs!
- In one of the best vaporware situations since Diablo III, Obsidian Games has finished South Park: The Stick of Truth. It is slated for a March 4th release date.
- Hopefully this will give the WiiU a boost, Gameboy Advance games are making their way to the WiiU Virtual Console.
- I've hoped for quite some time that the PS4/PSVita bundle that was released in Europe would make it's way to the states and sadly this is not the case. Sony is thinking about it sometime in the future, but for now they want the Vita to "stand on it's own" and "not be seen as an accompaniment" to the PS4. From what I understand, there isn't much in the way of games for the damn thing anyway, so I don't see what the big deal of bundling the two and taking a bit of a hit on the price would be. Then again, I don't make decisions in a multi-million dollar company. Oh well, looks like I'll be buying the two separately for the remote play feature that they touted so much at the reveal. Which is I'm sure what they want anyway.
- In the worst news of the week, shitty and overpriced monopoly cable company Comcast purchased Time Warner Cable for a reported $45 billion. Thus widening the girth of the dildo they plan to continue to hammer in our asses. Because what are you gonna do? Use DSL?
- If you use your Kickstarter password for any other things, make sure to change it as a hack of Kickstarter was reported a couple days ago. These hacking attacks and DDoS attacks are getting to be a bit ridiculous.
GameInformer reports that Lightning may return, yet again, as a guest in other games. Many people cite Kingdom Hearts 3 where she could make an appearance which wouldn't be a big shocker, but I think it would be more along the lines of a new Final Fantasy Tactics game like Cloud was in the original Tactics.
The thing that makes me laugh about this story though is that Motomu Toriyama states that Lightning is "a fan favorite". Maybe simply by virtue that she is a female protagonist, but scrolling the comments section on this story and general consensus among the fandom is that Lightning and her three shitty games are not well liked. In a poll run by The World is Square on Facebook the three XIII titles were the first three voted out and Lightning Returns wasn't even close to released yet. It seems to me to be a form of cognitive dissonance that if Square continues to shove Lightning down our throats, we will start to like her as much as they do.
Giving her three games wasn't enough? Dressing her up like Cloud Strife and Lara (not Laura) Croft (y'know, characters that people actually like) wasn't enough? Square-Enix, I will tell you this as plain as I can speak:
WE DON'T LIKE LIGHTNING OR HER SHITTY GAMES! QUIT PUTTING HER IN GAMES BECAUSE THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO THAT WILL MAKE US LIKE HER!