It was a damn big week in the nerd world this week! Telltale Games' The Walking Dead Season 2 Episode 2 - A House Divided now has a release date of March 4th! Super fangirl squee! Samsung has officially announced it's Galaxy S5 smartphone which seems to be much more than the incremental increase that the GS4 was. Steam family sharing has exited beta and is now available to all users which is kick ass and Microsoft has said that it "can't offer a retroactive refund" to Xbox One early adopters. Wait what? Let me look at this...Oh you've got to be fucking kidding me.
So apparently in light of the announcement of the $499 Tit-Anvil Xbox One bundle a bunch of people are pissed off that they paid full price and didn't get a copy of Titanfall. My mother used to pull this kinda shit when I was a kid and as I got older and worked retail jobs it annoyed me more and more.
"This wasn't on sale 4 months ago, but it's on sale now. I want you to refund me the difference."
How about eat a big fat dick?
Sales happen. If you missed that sale, it's unfortunate. People who were impatient enough to be early adopters of the newest generation of consoles ran that risk. Even in something as simple as a Steam sale, if it's worth it then get it. If not, wait until the next sale. Simple as that.
Anyway, those were the biggest stories of the week, let's move on to some smaller talking points.
- Hideo Kojima says he wants to step out of the Metal Gear franchise and pursue other projects. No shit. This isn't a new development. He intended for Metal Gear Solid 4 to be the period on the end of the series but due to fan backlash he has since made 2 canonical entries in the series, 2 mobile games, an HD collection a 3DS port of Snake Eater and an arcade title. He's been working on the series for the better part of 3 decades. I imagine he's sick of it by now.
- Speaking of Metal Gear, if you pre-order Ground Zeroes you get some little add-ons for Phantom Pain. The usual pre-order swag type shit. Oh, and the current gen price dropped by $10 to match the digital price of $30.
- Blizzard gave a flimsy excuse for including a $60 price tag to not have to play World of Warcraft and just jet straight to end game. They said that it was designed for people who wanted to level alts to 90 quickly rather than, y'know, play the game. Anything to make a buck on that quickly dying horse eh Blizzard?
- Like Capcom before it, Square-Enix is now taking one of the emaciated bodies of a beloved franchise out of the dungeon and giving it the free-to-play surgery. The Mana Series to be exact. I can't convey the seething anger at this in words.
- Barely 3 months into the year and the Xbox One has been named a product of the year. I don't normally make bribery claims, but this one kinda writes itself.
- Nintendo is pulling the plug on online support for all DS and Wii titles. I imagine this to be a cost cutting measure for something that, let's face it, not a lot of people use at this point. I never used Nintendo systems for online play, but I bet there are people out there who are saddened by this news.
- Kiefer Sutherland has given a conformation that he is in the next Mortal Kombat title.
- All these years later, apparently Space Jam 2 is in the works and it's going to star the most notorious man in basketball, LeBron James. Holy flippin' shit, I have to see this.
- Pre-order swag for Diablo III: Reaper of Souls was announced. It's not impressive.
- A bunch of suits want to eliminate an R&D tax break on manufacturers of violent video games. Because, once again, God forbid parents be parents. We must think of the kiddies!
- The pissing contest over Duke Nukem continues as Gearbox sues 3D Realms for unauthorized use of the name.
- GOG is introducing reigonal pricing on some upcoming titles. No word on what titles these will be.
- I didn't get a chance to mention the story last week but a new Tony Hawk game is in the works. Apparently the visionary Mr. Hawk outlined why this game will be a free-to-play microtransaction laden mobile title. Genius.
- Those rumors from before were true, Amazon is releasing an Android Box in March.
- I don't normally enter contests, but I'm actually going to enter this one. BioWare has introduced a contest where if you submit your voice you could win the opportunity to play an extra in the upcoming Dragon Age: Inquisition. I love Dragon Age and would love to have my voice immortalized in a video game.
- Even though I remember hearing before that there wasn't going to be another Last of Us, money talks and now there is a 50/50 chance we'll see another Last of Us title. Because money.
- Call of Duty Elite went the way of the wind this past week. Bummer for those who are into subscription services within subscription services.
To round out this amazing week, PlayStation's Twitter account announced that the WWE Network app is now available for PS3 and PS4 and Netflix will be getting old-school episodes of Pokemon soon! See ya guys next time!