We got a big ass news week this week! Gamescom took place in Germany so we have a wealth of news to get excited about! First up, Microsoft hit the floor with:
- Announcing a wealth of new features to the Xbox One including the long awaited DNLA media support
- A limited edition 1TB HDD Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare custom Xbox One.
- The upcoming open beta for Valve's Evolve in January.
- A Halo Channel for Xbox One.
- The rebirth of iconic adventure game studio Sierra and an upcoming Geometry Wars and new King's Quest games.
Sony would then take the show floor later in the day and keep the momentum going
It's official: DAY Z is coming to PS4!
— PlayStation (@PlayStation) August 12, 2014
Fun fact: PlayStation owners will get exclusive content with Destiny, Far Cry 4, and Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor — PlayStation (@PlayStation) August 12, 2014
- A Pathfinder game was rumored to be in the works and this was later confirmed by the games' developer, Obsidian.
— Obsidian (@Obsidian) August 13, 2014
- The PlayStation 4 will let people join and play games that they don't own, though it later came out that play time will be limited to an hour.
- Much to the delight of horror, movie and game fans alike, Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame and respected director Guillermo Del Toro are making a new Silent Hill game starring Norman Reedus!
And the news just kept flooding in after that as well!
- GameStop has confirmed the details of it's new trade-in policy. It is based in a four tiered system and takes into account if you are a PowerUp Rewards member and if you choose cash or store credit.
- Speaking of custom consoles, Nintendo is making a sleek new 3DS XL unit with Smash Bros. art on it!
- You can now buy Xbox digital codes in retail stores. Why you would want to when you can just download them straight from the console is beyond me.
- In another Xbox scandal, it was announced that the sequel to the much praised Tomb Raider reboot would be an Xbox exclusive. Sony fans raged but it would later come out that the exclusivity was timed. For how long? Both Microsoft and Square-Enix are remaining tight-lipped.
- Game studio Starbreeze, makers of the popular team-based FPS Payday 2, will be making some kind of co-op Walking Dead game. Though I haven't played Payday 2, I am intrigued. Speaking of Walking Dead...
— The Walking Dead (@TheWalkingDead) August 14, 2014
- Both titles that carry the Metal Gear Solid V namesake will be released on Steam.
- Sega has agreed to a $1.25 million lawsuit in damages due to the civil suit surrounding the universally panned Aliens: Colonial Marines. This is not the end however, as Gearbox may be on the hook for even more cash after the fact.
Elsewhere on the web, Hideo Kojima has said he is considering remaking the original Metal Gear Solid (even though, like I've stated before THAT'S BEEN DONE!), the new World of Warcraft expansion will hit shelves on November 13th and (as if there was any doubt) characters made in the Destiny Beta will not transfer to the full game.
That took a bit more than a minute but, as stated, this was a HUGE week for game news! See you guys again next week!